Jesolo Lido and the Adriatic Seaside

  +39 349 8043761
Ca’ Venezia Apts - Via Rossini, 7 - 30016 Jesolo Lido (VE)
© 2018

Lido  

di  

Jesolo  

at  

a  

few  

kilometers  

from  

the  

enchanting  

Venice,  

with  

its  

15  

kilometres  

of  

fine  

dolomite  

sand,

accomodates  

every  

year  

over  

10  

millions  

of  

tourists  

(including  

those  

who  

overnight  

and  

those  

who  

stay  

for

the  

day)  

who  

spend  

their  

holidays  

making  

escursions  

in  

the  

greenery  

of  

the  

pinewood  

and  

in  

the  

encahting

valleys  

of  

the  

lagoon,  

who  

entertain  

themselves  

in  

the  

modern  

discos,  

in  

the  

squares  

with  

hundreds  

of  

shows

of every kind, the coloured fun fairs and above all Via Bafile, the longest pedestrian way in Europe.

Two  

millenniums  

history  

are  

behind  

this  

'precision  

device'  

as  

we  

can  

call  

Jesolo  

within  

the  

tourism  

economy

of  

the  

lower  

Veneto.  

While  

this  

capital  

of  

fun,  

fashion  

and  

trends  

is  

more  

and  

more  

turned  

to  

the  

'immediate

use', it is another atmosphere that you can breathe in the near hinterland.

The  

'Street  

of  

the  

Ancient  

Walls',  

starting  

from  

Jesolo  

centre  

is  

in  

fact  

a  

fascinating  

route  

along  

which  

all

traces   

of   

a   

noble   

and   

glorious   

past   

reveal   

themselves   

and   

all   

the   

latest   

efforts   

aim   

to   

create   

a   

real

archeological  

itinerary  

in  

order  

to  

enhance  

an  

aspect  

of  

this  

area  

which  

has  

remained  

almost  

unknown  

for  

a

long time.

Once  

upon  

a  

time  

there  

was  

a  

village  

called  

Equilio,  

later  

Cavazuccherina,  

today  

Jesolo  

and  

not  

far  

a  

desert

beach   

wet   

by   

the   

waters   

of   

the   

Adriatico   

Sea.   

Equilo,   

from   

the   

latin   

word   

equus=town   

of   

horses,and

according  

to  

transcriptions  

also  

Equilio,  

Esquilio,  

Esulo,  

Lesulo,  

Jexollo  

and  

today  

Jesolo  

has  

its  

roots  

in  

the

times  

of  

the  

Roman  

Empire  

as  

vicus  

(=  

village),  

on  

an  

island  

next  

to  

the  

mouth  

of  

the  

Piave:  

it  

was  

at  

the  

time

one  

of  

the  

many  

places  

used  

by  

merchants  

in  

their  

journeys  

inside  

the  

lagoon,  

above  

all  

in  

winter,  

sheltered

from  

winds  

(the  

Bora)  

and  

storms,  

on  

the  

way  

from  

Ravenna,  

port  

where  

the  

grain  

of  

the  

9th  

Augustean

Region  

called  

Aemilia  

was  

embarked,  

to  

the  

great  

town-fortress  

Aquileia,  

rampart  

of  

the  

Eastern  

Roman

border.  

Exposed  

to  

the  

continuous  

barbaric  

invasions  

(from  

the  

5th  

Century  

on  

),  

a  

part  

of  

the  

helpless

inhabitants  

of  

Altino,  

Oderzo  

and  

of  

the  

areas  

around  

Treviso  

and  

Belluno,  

in  

their  

escape,  

following  

the  

river

Piave, chose Jesolo as last refuge.

With  

the  

fall  

of  

the  

Roman  

Empire,  

Jesolo  

and  

the  

other  

towns  

of  

the  

Venetian  

estuary  

(Rialto,  

Murano,

Burano,  

Torcello,  

Malamocco,  

San  

Pietro  

in  

Volta,  

Chioggia,  

Brondolo,  

Fossone,  

Eraclea,  

Fine,  

Caorle,  

Grado

and  

Cavarzere),  

remained  

without  

a  

political  

direction,  

they  

formed  

a  

congregation  

and  

created  

their  

own

autonomous   

government   

by   

electing   

in   

697   

as   

head   

of   

the   

government   

Paoluccio   

Anafesto,   

the

unforgettable first Doge.

Together  

with  

wars  

and  

invasions  

the  

region  

was  

hit  

by  

environmental  

disasters,  

provoked  

by  

the  

Piave

which  

changed  

his  

course  

several  

times  

in  

the  

past.  

Though  

its  

economic  

power  

was  

reduced  

and  

slow

because  

of  

the  

fights  

against  

Eraclea,  

by  

the  

barbaric  

invasions,  

Jesolo  

grew  

and  

strenghtened  

its  

trades  

with

in-land  

towns  

and  

with  

the  

East  

by  

sailing  

on  

the  

sea,  

exporting  

fish,  

salt  

(there  

were  

32  

salt-mines)  

and

manufactured   

products   

and   

imported   

wood,   

spices   

and   

fabrics:   

its   

port   

frequented   

by   

travellers   

and

merchants  

who  

stopped  

for  

the  

precious  

wares  

brought  

by  

the  

sailors  

of  

Jesolo.  

In  

1000  

the  

Doge  

Orseolo

left  

from  

the  

port  

of  

Jesolo  

with  

its  

fleet  

steering  

towards  

the  

Istrian  

and  

Dalmatian  

costs,  

defeated  

the

pirates who infested the upper Adriatico and submitted them.

After  

a  

couple  

of  

centuries  

of  

prosperity  

there  

came  

a  

decay.  

Only  

around  

the  

half  

of  

the  

15th  

Century,  

the

Serenissima  

was  

interested  

in  

developping  

the  

trade  

using  

the  

waterways  

in  

Friuli  

and  

began  

the  

works,  

lead

by  

Liberal  

from  

Oderzo,  

in  

1440  

of  

escavation  

of  

a  

canal  

(no  

more  

existing),  

which  

had  

to  

join  

The  

Piave  

to  

the

Revedoli,  

making  

it  

possible  

for  

crafts  

to  

sail  

from  

Venice  

to  

Caorle  

or  

Grado,  

without  

going  

out  

at  

sea.  

The

opening  

of  

the  

canal  

(spring  

of  

1441),  

favoured  

the  

birth  

of  

stores  

and  

houses  

for  

workers  

or  

keepers  

as  

well  

as

nobles  

who  

invested  

their  

fortunes  

on  

the  

territory.  

At  

the  

end  

of  

the  

15th  

Century  

the  

nobles  

Gradenigo,

Malipiero,  

Soranzo  

and  

others  

began  

to  

bonificate  

the  

lands  

and  

easied  

the  

settlement  

of  

many  

colons.  

On

the  

3rd  

of  

January  

1495  

the  

Patriarch  

of  

Venice,  

Tommaso  

Dona',  

accepted  

the  

requests  

of  

the  

nobles  

and

workers and estabished the Parish of San Giovanni Battista, the most ancient in the Basso Piave.

  

After  

a  

few  

years  

the  

upkeeping  

of  

the  

canal  

was  

given  

to  

Alvise  

Zucharin  

  

and  

his  

heirs  

(November  

20,  

1499)

and  

that  

surname  

gave  

slowly  

a  

new  

name  

to  

the  

old  

Equilio-Jesolo,  

which  

would  

become  

Cava  

(canal)

Zucharina  

(from  

the  

name  

of  

the  

family  

Zucharin),  

reported  

in  

various  

manners  

in  

the  

venetian  

documents:

Cava   

Zuccherina,   

Cavazucharina,   

Cavazuccherina.   

The   

name   

was   

maintained   

by   

the   

town   

and   

by   

the

Commune  

(established  

by  

Napoleon  

on  

the  

22nd  

of  

December  

1807)  

until  

the  

28th  

of  

August  

1930,  

when

endly the king Vittorio Emanuele III allowed the re-use of the historical name Jesolo

  +39 349 8043761
Ca’ Venezia Apts - Via Rossini, 7 - 30016 Jesolo Lido (VE)
© 2018

Jesolo Lido and the Adriatic Seaside

Lido  

di  

Jesolo  

at  

a  

few  

kilometers  

from  

the  

enchanting  

Venice,  

with  

its  

15  

kilometres  

of  

fine  

dolomite  

sand,

accomodates  

every  

year  

over  

10  

millions  

of  

tourists  

(including  

those  

who  

overnight  

and  

those  

who  

stay  

for

the  

day)  

who  

spend  

their  

holidays  

making  

escursions  

in  

the  

greenery  

of  

the  

pinewood  

and  

in  

the  

encahting

valleys  

of  

the  

lagoon,  

who  

entertain  

themselves  

in  

the  

modern  

discos,  

in  

the  

squares  

with  

hundreds  

of  

shows

of every kind, the coloured fun fairs and above all Via Bafile, the longest pedestrian way in Europe.

Two  

millenniums  

history  

are  

behind  

this  

'precision  

device'  

as  

we  

can  

call  

Jesolo  

within  

the  

tourism  

economy

of  

the  

lower  

Veneto.  

While  

this  

capital  

of  

fun,  

fashion  

and  

trends  

is  

more  

and  

more  

turned  

to  

the  

'immediate

use', it is another atmosphere that you can breathe in the near hinterland.

The  

'Street  

of  

the  

Ancient  

Walls',  

starting  

from  

Jesolo  

centre  

is  

in  

fact  

a  

fascinating  

route  

along  

which  

all

traces   

of   

a   

noble   

and   

glorious   

past   

reveal   

themselves   

and   

all   

the   

latest   

efforts   

aim   

to   

create   

a   

real

archeological  

itinerary  

in  

order  

to  

enhance  

an  

aspect  

of  

this  

area  

which  

has  

remained  

almost  

unknown  

for  

a

long time.

Once  

upon  

a  

time  

there  

was  

a  

village  

called  

Equilio,  

later  

Cavazuccherina,  

today  

Jesolo  

and  

not  

far  

a  

desert

beach   

wet   

by   

the   

waters   

of   

the   

Adriatico   

Sea.   

Equilo,   

from   

the   

latin   

word   

equus=town   

of   

horses,and

according  

to  

transcriptions  

also  

Equilio,  

Esquilio,  

Esulo,  

Lesulo,  

Jexollo  

and  

today  

Jesolo  

has  

its  

roots  

in  

the

times  

of  

the  

Roman  

Empire  

as  

vicus  

(=  

village),  

on  

an  

island  

next  

to  

the  

mouth  

of  

the  

Piave:  

it  

was  

at  

the  

time

one  

of  

the  

many  

places  

used  

by  

merchants  

in  

their  

journeys  

inside  

the  

lagoon,  

above  

all  

in  

winter,  

sheltered

from  

winds  

(the  

Bora)  

and  

storms,  

on  

the  

way  

from  

Ravenna,  

port  

where  

the  

grain  

of  

the  

9th  

Augustean

Region  

called  

Aemilia  

was  

embarked,  

to  

the  

great  

town-fortress  

Aquileia,  

rampart  

of  

the  

Eastern  

Roman

border.  

Exposed  

to  

the  

continuous  

barbaric  

invasions  

(from  

the  

5th  

Century  

on  

),  

a  

part  

of  

the  

helpless

inhabitants  

of  

Altino,  

Oderzo  

and  

of  

the  

areas  

around  

Treviso  

and  

Belluno,  

in  

their  

escape,  

following  

the  

river

Piave, chose Jesolo as last refuge.

With  

the  

fall  

of  

the  

Roman  

Empire,  

Jesolo  

and  

the  

other  

towns  

of  

the  

Venetian  

estuary  

(Rialto,  

Murano,

Burano,  

Torcello,  

Malamocco,  

San  

Pietro  

in  

Volta,  

Chioggia,  

Brondolo,  

Fossone,  

Eraclea,  

Fine,  

Caorle,  

Grado

and  

Cavarzere),  

remained  

without  

a  

political  

direction,  

they  

formed  

a  

congregation  

and  

created  

their  

own

autonomous   

government   

by   

electing   

in   

697   

as   

head   

of   

the   

government   

Paoluccio   

Anafesto,   

the

unforgettable first Doge.

Together  

with  

wars  

and  

invasions  

the  

region  

was  

hit  

by  

environmental  

disasters,  

provoked  

by  

the  

Piave

which  

changed  

his  

course  

several  

times  

in  

the  

past.  

Though  

its  

economic  

power  

was  

reduced  

and  

slow

because  

of  

the  

fights  

against  

Eraclea,  

by  

the  

barbaric  

invasions,  

Jesolo  

grew  

and  

strenghtened  

its  

trades  

with

in-land  

towns  

and  

with  

the  

East  

by  

sailing  

on  

the  

sea,  

exporting  

fish,  

salt  

(there  

were  

32  

salt-mines)  

and

manufactured   

products   

and   

imported   

wood,   

spices   

and   

fabrics:   

its   

port   

frequented   

by   

travellers   

and

merchants  

who  

stopped  

for  

the  

precious  

wares  

brought  

by  

the  

sailors  

of  

Jesolo.  

In  

1000  

the  

Doge  

Orseolo

left  

from  

the  

port  

of  

Jesolo  

with  

its  

fleet  

steering  

towards  

the  

Istrian  

and  

Dalmatian  

costs,  

defeated  

the

pirates who infested the upper Adriatico and submitted them.

After  

a  

couple  

of  

centuries  

of  

prosperity  

there  

came  

a  

decay.  

Only  

around  

the  

half  

of  

the  

15th  

Century,  

the

Serenissima  

was  

interested  

in  

developping  

the  

trade  

using  

the  

waterways  

in  

Friuli  

and  

began  

the  

works,  

lead

by  

Liberal  

from  

Oderzo,  

in  

1440  

of  

escavation  

of  

a  

canal  

(no  

more  

existing),  

which  

had  

to  

join  

The  

Piave  

to  

the

Revedoli,  

making  

it  

possible  

for  

crafts  

to  

sail  

from  

Venice  

to  

Caorle  

or  

Grado,  

without  

going  

out  

at  

sea.  

The

opening  

of  

the  

canal  

(spring  

of  

1441),  

favoured  

the  

birth  

of  

stores  

and  

houses  

for  

workers  

or  

keepers  

as  

well  

as

nobles  

who  

invested  

their  

fortunes  

on  

the  

territory.  

At  

the  

end  

of  

the  

15th  

Century  

the  

nobles  

Gradenigo,

Malipiero,  

Soranzo  

and  

others  

began  

to  

bonificate  

the  

lands  

and  

easied  

the  

settlement  

of  

many  

colons.  

On

the  

3rd  

of  

January  

1495  

the  

Patriarch  

of  

Venice,  

Tommaso  

Dona',  

accepted  

the  

requests  

of  

the  

nobles  

and

workers and estabished the Parish of San Giovanni Battista, the most ancient in the Basso Piave.

  

After  

a  

few  

years  

the  

upkeeping  

of  

the  

canal  

was  

given  

to  

Alvise  

Zucharin  

  

and  

his  

heirs  

(November  

20,  

1499)

and  

that  

surname  

gave  

slowly  

a  

new  

name  

to  

the  

old  

Equilio-Jesolo,  

which  

would  

become  

Cava  

(canal)

Zucharina  

(from  

the  

name  

of  

the  

family  

Zucharin),  

reported  

in  

various  

manners  

in  

the  

venetian  

documents:

Cava   

Zuccherina,   

Cavazucharina,   

Cavazuccherina.   

The   

name   

was   

maintained   

by   

the   

town   

and   

by   

the

Commune  

(established  

by  

Napoleon  

on  

the  

22nd  

of  

December  

1807)  

until  

the  

28th  

of  

August  

1930,  

when

endly the king Vittorio Emanuele III allowed the re-use of the historical name Jesolo

© 2018

Lido   

di   

Jesolo   

at   

a   

few   

kilometers   

from   

the   

enchanting

Venice,   

with   

its   

15   

kilometres   

of   

fine   

dolomite   

sand,

accomodates    

every    

year    

over    

10    

millions    

of    

tourists

(including  

those  

who  

overnight  

and  

those  

who  

stay  

for  

the

day)  

who  

spend  

their  

holidays  

making  

escursions  

in  

the

greenery  

of  

the  

pinewood  

and  

in  

the  

encahting  

valleys  

of

the   

lagoon,   

who   

entertain   

themselves   

in   

the   

modern

discos,  

in  

the  

squares  

with  

hundreds  

of  

shows  

of  

every  

kind,

the  

coloured  

fun  

fairs  

and  

above  

all  

Via  

Bafile,  

the  

longest

pedestrian way in Europe.

Two  

millenniums  

history  

are  

behind  

this  

'precision  

device'

as  

we  

can  

call  

Jesolo  

within  

the  

tourism  

economy  

of  

the

lower  

Veneto.  

While  

this  

capital  

of  

fun,  

fashion  

and  

trends  

is

more  

and  

more  

turned  

to  

the  

'immediate  

use',  

it  

is  

another

atmosphere that you can breathe in the near hinterland.

The  

'Street  

of  

the  

Ancient  

Walls',  

starting  

from  

Jesolo  

centre

is  

in  

fact  

a  

fascinating  

route  

along  

which  

all  

traces  

of  

a

noble  

and  

glorious  

past  

reveal  

themselves  

and  

all  

the  

latest

efforts  

aim  

to  

create  

a  

real  

archeological  

itinerary  

in  

order

to   

enhance   

an   

aspect   

of   

this   

area   

which   

has   

remained

almost unknown for a long time.

Once  

upon  

a  

time  

there  

was  

a  

village  

called  

Equilio,  

later

Cavazuccherina,  

today  

Jesolo  

and  

not  

far  

a  

desert  

beach

wet  

by  

the  

waters  

of  

the  

Adriatico  

Sea.  

Equilo,  

from  

the

latin    

word    

equus=town    

of    

horses,and    

according    

to

transcriptions   

also   

Equilio,   

Esquilio,   

Esulo,   

Lesulo,   

Jexollo

and  

today  

Jesolo  

has  

its  

roots  

in  

the  

times  

of  

the  

Roman

Empire  

as  

vicus  

(=  

village),  

on  

an  

island  

next  

to  

the  

mouth  

of

the  

Piave:  

it  

was  

at  

the  

time  

one  

of  

the  

many  

places  

used

by  

merchants  

in  

their  

journeys  

inside  

the  

lagoon,  

above  

all

in  

winter,  

sheltered  

from  

winds  

(the  

Bora)  

and  

storms,  

on

the  

way  

from  

Ravenna,  

port  

where  

the  

grain  

of  

the  

9th

Augustean   

Region   

called   

Aemilia   

was   

embarked,   

to   

the

great  

town-fortress  

Aquileia,  

rampart  

of  

the  

Eastern  

Roman

border.  

Exposed  

to  

the  

continuous  

barbaric  

invasions  

(from

the  

5th  

Century  

on  

),  

a  

part  

of  

the  

helpless  

inhabitants  

of

Altino,  

Oderzo  

and  

of  

the  

areas  

around  

Treviso  

and  

Belluno,

in  

their  

escape,  

following  

the  

river  

Piave,  

chose  

Jesolo  

as  

last

refuge.

With  

the  

fall  

of  

the  

Roman  

Empire,  

Jesolo  

and  

the  

other

towns   

of   

the   

Venetian   

estuary   

(Rialto,   

Murano,   

Burano,

Torcello,    

Malamocco,    

San    

Pietro    

in    

Volta,    

Chioggia,

Brondolo,    

Fossone,    

Eraclea,    

Fine,    

Caorle,    

Grado    

and

Cavarzere),   

remained   

without   

a   

political   

direction,   

they

formed  

a  

congregation  

and  

created  

their  

own  

autonomous

government  

by  

electing  

in  

697  

as  

head  

of  

the  

government

Paoluccio Anafesto, the unforgettable first Doge.

Together  

with  

wars  

and  

invasions  

the  

region  

was  

hit  

by

environmental   

disasters,   

provoked   

by   

the   

Piave   

which

changed  

his  

course  

several  

times  

in  

the  

past.  

Though  

its

economic   

power   

was   

reduced   

and   

slow   

because   

of   

the

fights  

against  

Eraclea,  

by  

the  

barbaric  

invasions,  

Jesolo  

grew

and  

strenghtened  

its  

trades  

with  

in-land  

towns  

and  

with

the  

East  

by  

sailing  

on  

the  

sea,  

exporting  

fish,  

salt  

(there

were    

32    

salt-mines)    

and    

manufactured    

products    

and

imported  

wood,  

spices  

and  

fabrics:  

its  

port  

frequented  

by

travellers   

and   

merchants   

who   

stopped   

for   

the   

precious

wares  

brought  

by  

the  

sailors  

of  

Jesolo.  

In  

1000  

the  

Doge

Orseolo  

left  

from  

the  

port  

of  

Jesolo  

with  

its  

fleet  

steering

towards   

the   

Istrian   

and   

Dalmatian   

costs,   

defeated   

the

pirates  

who  

infested  

the  

upper  

Adriatico  

and  

submitted

them.

After   

a   

couple   

of   

centuries   

of   

prosperity   

there   

came   

a

decay.   

Only   

around   

the   

half   

of   

the   

15th   

Century,   

the

Serenissima  

was  

interested  

in  

developping  

the  

trade  

using

the  

waterways  

in  

Friuli  

and  

began  

the  

works,  

lead  

by  

Liberal

from  

Oderzo,  

in  

1440  

of  

escavation  

of  

a  

canal  

(no  

more

existing),   

which   

had   

to   

join   

The   

Piave   

to   

the   

Revedoli,

making  

it  

possible  

for  

crafts  

to  

sail  

from  

Venice  

to  

Caorle  

or

Grado,  

without  

going  

out  

at  

sea.  

The  

opening  

of  

the  

canal

(spring  

of  

1441),  

favoured  

the  

birth  

of  

stores  

and  

houses  

for

workers  

or  

keepers  

as  

well  

as  

nobles  

who  

invested  

their

fortunes  

on  

the  

territory.  

At  

the  

end  

of  

the  

15th  

Century  

the

nobles  

Gradenigo,  

Malipiero,  

Soranzo  

and  

others  

began  

to

bonificate  

the  

lands  

and  

easied  

the  

settlement  

of  

many

colons.  

On  

the  

3rd  

of  

January  

1495  

the  

Patriarch  

of  

Venice,

Tommaso  

Dona',  

accepted  

the  

requests  

of  

the  

nobles  

and

workers  

and  

estabished  

the  

Parish  

of  

San  

Giovanni  

Battista,

the most ancient in the Basso Piave.

  

After  

a  

few  

years  

the  

upkeeping  

of  

the  

canal  

was  

given  

to

Alvise  

Zucharin  

  

and  

his  

heirs  

(November  

20,  

1499)  

and  

that

surname  

gave  

slowly  

a  

new  

name  

to  

the  

old  

Equilio-Jesolo,

which   

would   

become   

Cava   

(canal)   

Zucharina   

(from   

the

name  

of  

the  

family  

Zucharin),  

reported  

in  

various  

manners

in       

the       

venetian       

documents:       

Cava       

Zuccherina,

Cavazucharina,  

Cavazuccherina.  

The  

name  

was  

maintained

by    

the    

town    

and    

by    

the    

Commune    

(established    

by

Napoleon  

on  

the  

22nd  

of  

December  

1807)  

until  

the  

28th  

of

August   

1930,   

when   

endly   

the   

king   

Vittorio   

Emanuele   

III

allowed the re-use of the historical name Jesolo

Ca’ Venezia Apts - Via Rossini, 7 - 30016 Jesolo Lido (VE)

  +39 349 8043761